Welcome and thank you for visiting the Department of Mathematics
If you are being reimbursed, here is some useful information: Reimbursement tips!
Please help us to make the reimbursement process as quick and simple as possible, by keeping a few important things in mind. Thanks!
For timely reimbursements, submit receipts as soon as possible.
- Reimbursements are subject to approval by host.
- Yale University does not reimburse the full cost of business or first-class travel.
- If you are arriving by plane, please book economy class fare.
- If your airfare reimbursement is coming out of NSF or a federal grant, you must use a U.S. carrier. See the Fly America Act.
- If you are arriving by train, please book coach class.
- Original receipts are requested for all expenses.
- Itinerary, class of service (coach, economy)
- Travelers should choose a reasonably priced hotel with a single occupancy rate.
- Ground transportation: the lowest cost ground transportation consistent with business needs.
- Mileage Allowance Rate for Business travel, effective 1/1/2023; 65.5 cents per mile which covers fuel costs.
- Please include exact destination points.
- Car rental insurance for domestic travel will not be reimbursed by the university.
- Fuel expenses are reimbursable only in relation to car rental expenses.
- In-room movies, “no-show” charges of hotel and car service, personal parking tickets or traffic violations, upgrades (air, hotel, car, train, etc.)
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, the following documents are required for reimbursement:
- Copy of Passport and Visa Identification page, Visa stamp, date entry stamp
- Copy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record; MUST be printed while in U.S.
- Completed W-8BEN and International Information Form (IIF) and a wire transfer form submitted with your payment request.
- If you are seeking reimbursement, please follow the instructions on the form per your visa type, sign and date.
- IRS tax treaty forms (W-8BEN/8233), if applicable
- If your immigration status is B-2 or WT, the university is not permitted to make any payments to you.
- Please contact the department in advance of your travel.
Visa related questions, please contact Amy Davis.
Amtrak - (800) 872-7245
Metro-North Railroad- (800) 638-7646; New Haven Railroad Station, 50 Union Avenue, New Haven
Shore Line East Commuter Rail - (800) 255-7433
Metro Taxi - (203) 777-7777