Welcome and thank you for visiting the Department of Mathematics
If you are being reimbursed, here is some useful information: Reimbursement tips!
Please help us to make the reimbursement process as quick and simple as possible, by keeping a few important things in mind. Thanks!
For timely reimbursements, submit receipts as soon as possible.
- Reimbursements are subject to approval by host.
- Yale University does not reimburse the full cost of business or first-class travel.
- If you are arriving by plane, please book economy class fare.
- If your airfare reimbursement is coming out of NSF or a federal grant, you must use a U.S. carrier. See the Fly America Act.
- If you are arriving by train, please book coach class.
- Original receipts are requested for all expenses.
- Itinerary, class of service (coach, economy)
- Travelers should choose a reasonably priced hotel with a single occupancy rate.
- Ground transportation: the lowest cost ground transportation consistent with business needs.
- Mileage Allowance Rate for Business travel, effective 1/1/2021; 56 cents per mile which covers fuel costs.
- Please include exact destination points.
- Car rental insurance for domestic travel will not be reimbursed by the university.
- Fuel expenses are reimbursable only in relation to car rental expenses.
- In-room movies, “no-show” charges of hotel and car service, personal parking tickets or traffic violations, upgrades (air, hotel, car, train, etc.)
For any travel or reimbursement related questions, please contact us at (203) 432-7058 or visit Yale’s Travel Policy for more detailed information.
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, the following documents are required for reimbursement:
- Copy of Passport and Visa Identification page, Visa stamp, date entry stamp
- Copy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record; MUST be printed while in U.S.
- Completed W-8BEN and International Information Form (IIF) submitted with your payment request.
- If you are seeking reimbursement, please follow the instructions on the form per your visa type, sign and date.
- IRS tax treaty forms (W-8BEN/8233), if applicable
- If your immigration status is B-2 or WT, the university is not permitted to make any payments to you.
- Please contact the department in advance of your travel.
Visa related questions, please contact Diane Altschuler at (203) 432-7318.
Amtrak - (800) 872-7245
Metro-North Railroad- (800) 638-7646; New Haven Railroad Station, 50 Union Avenue, New Haven
Shore Line East Commuter Rail - (800) 255-7433
Metro Taxi - (203) 777-7777
Premier Limo - (866) 885-5466